Sunday, December 2, 2007

privacy: "its complicated"

After reading this article I was confused at first about facebook tracking what I do outside its website and on other websites and it said that a box pops up asking if its okay to share that information. But, I use facebook and this hasn’t ever happened to me. so I guess I don’t quite get what they are tracking and who they are sharing it with. I am assuming, from the article, that if you look on a movie website outside of facebook ten facebook uses that to give you adds about movies. I personally, do not see anything wrong with this. Also, the mini news feed is really not an invasion, while yes I admit it is a bit stalkerish, it is not really an invasion because if you choose not to share a story you can click to hide it so no one sees it. So, if people feel that facebook is an invasion of their privacy then they don’t have to use it. No one is making them use it so if they don’t like it then stop complaining and find something else to do. But, for those who do want to continue using and only have small problems with it that seem to be universal with all facebook users, as it appears to be in this article, should do just as they have started to do, make a group and show the facebook makers what they dislike and if enough people dislike these features then facebook is very open to changes. I do not think this is truly an intense invasion because it ASKS first if you care to share the information so it is a choice. If it isn’t a choice and you are not aware of this sharing of personal information then I agree that it appears to be an invasion. If people don’t want their “privacy” to be invaded then they should not put themselves in this situation by joining facebook because people can find out whose wall you’ve posted on or who tagged you in what pictures because that is how facebook has designed themselves. I think that privacy is less important for facebook then for myspace because myspace is a whole different story being all the rape cases and under aged sexual cases and stalking that come up way more frequently on myspace. Facebook I feel is safer and if that means I have to give up a little bit of privacy then so be it, id rather be safe and give up only a little then be at risk for crazy stalkers and sick people. So, those who don’t like it need to realize that it is not mandatory and if you really have that big of issues don’t use it, or if it is an issue all users have then take it to the head of facebook and they can do something about it because as it said in the article that facebook is very willing to change things if their users do not like them.

No comments: